Yesterday on Facebook we asked what’s the best winter/holiday drink? People commented some great ideas: hot apple cider, hot chocolate, eggnog (and some variations with a little extra spirit). Inspired by the creativity of all the Facebook comments, here are some other ideas for holiday beverages courtesy of marthastewart.com.
• 1 1/2 ounces Blackberry Puree
• 2 ounces white cranberry juice
• 2 to 3 ounces sparkling water
• 1 sprig mint, for garnish
1. Place blackberry puree and cranberry juice in a champagne flute. Add sparkling water to fill. Garnish with mint.
• 1/4 cup Ginger Syrup
• 4 1/2 cups sparkling apple cider
• 6 cinnamon sticks
• 6 pieces crystallized ginger
1. Place 2 tablespoons ginger syrup in each of six glasses. Fill glasses with ice cubes, pour in cider, and stir to combine. Garnish with cinnamon sticks and fresh ginger, and serve.
Sparkling Cider and Cara Cara Orange Punch
• 1/4 cup crystallized ginger
• 1/4 cup sugar
• 1 lemon wedge
• 6 cups freshly squeezed Cara Cara orange juice (from about 14 oranges), or substitute regular oranges
• 2 bottles nonalcoholic sparkling cider, chilled
• 1 cup Calvados (optional)
• Candied Citrus Peels, omitting final sugaring for garnish
1. Grind ginger to a fine powder in a spice grinder, then mix with sugar in a shallow dish. Rub lemon wedge on rims of 12 glasses, then dip rims in ginger-sugar mixture.
2. Mix orange juice and cider, and Calvados if using, in a large punch bowl. Serve with ice, and garnish with candied citrus.