Let the Games Begin
The Olympics are upon us. While the Games have technically already started with soccer, the London 2012 Opening Ceremony takes place today. As you settle-in for 5,535 hours of TV coverage across several channels, here is some interesting trivia you can share with friends and family. The below trivia is from topendsports.com
– When London hosts the Olympic Games in 2012, the city will become the first to host the Games three times:1908, 1948 and 2012.
– Greece is the only nation to have participated under its own flag in all modern summer Olympic Games.
– The only Olympian ever to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize was Philip Noel-Baker of Great Britain, who won the silver in the 1500-meter dash in 1920.
– At the first modern Olympic Games in Athens in 1896, silver medals were awarded to the winners and bronze to the second place getters.
– More athletes than spectators attended the 1900 Paris Olympic Games.
– Oscar Swahn became the oldest gold medalist when he won gold at 64 years and 280 days old in 1912