How To Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets
It’s a new year which means it’s time to freshen up your home and get organized! If you’re looking to organize your home and update your storage techniques, your kitchen is a great place to start. You can transform your kitchen cabinets with some simple tricks that will keep your kitchen organized all year. Here are some easy tips on how to organize your kitchen cabinets.
How To Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets: Where To Begin
In order to make your organization process easy and stress-free, it’s best to start by emptying all your cabinets. Sort through your cabinets and throw out expired spices, give away dishes and drinkware that you don’t use, and replace old pots and pans with fresh ones. Get rid of extra clutter to help establish a clean slate for your kitchen cabinets.
If you don’t already have your kitchen cabinets separated by categories, that’s a great starting point for your organization plan. Place a sticky note on each cabinet to temporarily label them while you’re getting organized. Make sure to designate a cabinet for your plates and dishes, drinkware, pots and pans, spices and baking supplies, and any other specific items you have. Staying organized with categories will save you stress in the long-run.
Once you’ve established which cabinets will hold which items, you can then create your specific organization plan. This can include making a list of storage tools to buy, figuring out which cabinets need the most help, and finding creative ways to conserve space. Have a thought out plan before organizing to save yourself a lot of time and make the entire process much smoother. Check out these tips on how to organize your kitchen cabinets to help you in planning out a neat and tidy kitchen space.
Reduce Kitchen Cabinet Clutter With Bins & Baskets
A lot of kitchen cabinet clutter comes from items that are freely scattered around without rhyme or reason. These items can easily be condensed and sorted with the help of bins and baskets within the cabinets. Think about items that can easily be placed in containers such as spices, baking supplies, cleaning supplies, and knick-knacks. Clearing up these items will help you use your cabinet space wisely and help you find things quicker.
How To Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets With Bins & Baskets: Quick Tips
- Label the bins and baskets for easy access inside of your kitchen cabinets. For instance, if you wanted to sort your cleaning supplies into baskets under the sink, you can label each basket based on the cleaning “category” (i.e. dishwasher supplies vs. floor cleaner).
- If you have a “junk” cabinet in your kitchen, make things easier by placing the items in an open basket. You can quickly take this catch-all basket out of the cabinet to find what you’re looking for.
- Basket and bins are also great for organizing your spices, baking supplies, and food. Keep your supplies together by category within each basket.
- Stackable bins are especially beneficial if you have limited cabinet space. Make sure to keep the bins stacked up by priority; keep your most used items on the top.
- Bins with wheels are a solid choice for “quick grab” items. You can roll these bins halfway out to take what you need and then quickly put the bins back.
- Check out this selection of kitchen & pantry storage items to make your organization even easier!
Maximize Your Kitchen Cabinet Space By Using Shelf Risers
When it comes to organization techniques, a common tip is to be smart and clever with the way you store things. Use your kitchen cabinet space wisely by taking up vertical space whenever possible. Maximizing the vertical space in your cabinets is especially important with smaller kitchens, but can be practical for any sized space.
Shelf risers are one of the best ways to take up the vertical space inside kitchen cabinets because they divide up your space wisely. They essentially add some extra shelves to your cabinet without having to install actual shelves. You can use these risers in multiple areas of your kitchen cabinets to stay organized.
Your dishware cabinet is the best place to use risers, especially if you have multiple types of dishes stacked on top of each other. For instance, you can place your plates on the cabinet and place your glass cups on the shelf riser above the plates. Get organized in a way that makes sense for you. Keep your most used dishes front and center within direct reach and place special occasion dishes on higher shelves. This simple kitchen organization tip will make your everyday life much easier.
Use A Turntable Or Swivel Shelves To Store Your Spices In The Cabinet
Sometimes it can be challenging to see all the items in the back of your cabinets. If you have trouble finding items that you need, using a turntable/lazy Susan or swivel shelves can be a great solution to cluttered cabinets.
In addition to organizing your cabinets with turntables, you can also use them on top of your kitchen counters for a decorative way to display everyday items. Also, turntables can be incredibly useful in other cabinets to organize other items throughout your home such as bathroom supplies, jewelry, and crafting items.
3 Quick Tips: How To Organize Your Kitchen Cabinets With Turntables
- Organize your spices and seasonings on a turntable for easy access whenever you need any of them. This way, you can easily see every spice that you have and you’ll never lose track of anything you’re looking for.
- Use turntables for soups and other cans of foods for a great way to stay neat and tidy in your pantry or cabinets. The turntable will help to reduce the clutter that cans tend to create in your kitchen.
- Build round swivel shelves into corner cabinets. This is an efficient way to use your corner cabinet space and keep all your items within reach.
Use Clear Storage Containers To Organize Food In The Pantry
Organizing food in the pantry or in kitchen cabinets doesn’t have to be a challenging process. If you want to your cabinets and pantry to look neat and tidy, you can open up more space by putting food into clear storage containers. This will not only help you save room in your kitchen, but it will also give you an “aesthetically pleasing” appearance.
You can use clear storage containers to organize many different types of foods, but here are some of the easiest foods to organize in the pantry or cabinet:
- Flour, sugar, salt, or other baking/cooking supplies
- Crackers and other dry snacks
- Granola bars
Make sure to add labels to your food containers to visually keep track of everything. This is of course especially useful for separating the salt and sugar and other baking ingredients. Labeling everything; however, will give you a more visually satisfying pantry area or cabinet.
Organize The Kitchen With Drawer Dividers Whenever Possible
In addition to organizing your kitchen cabinets, it’s important to stay on track with organizing the drawers in your kitchen. While it may seem overwhelming to work on your cabinets and drawers all at the same time, it’s actually helpful in making your kitchen feel overall tidy and put together.
How To Organize Your Kitchen Drawers
- Use drawer dividers and organizers in your kitchen whenever possible. This can include cutlery organizers, drawer separators, and other tools that help divide up a drawer into sections.
- Store extra kitchen towels in the drawer by rolling them up. This allows you to store even more towels in one drawer and keep things neat.
- Separate cooking utensils and tools with drawer dividers. Keep wooden tools in one section, metal in another, mixing spoons in another section, spatulas in another, etc. Keep similar utensils and tools together will help you find things easier.
- If your boxes of tinfoil, plastic wrap, food storage bags, etc. are taking up too much space in your drawers, you can alternatively place them in an over-the-door hook on the cabinet door under your sink. This is a sleek way to store these necessities while opening up more drawer space for other essentials.
Lakeside’s Kitchen Storage Solutions
Now that you’ve learned some simple ways on how to organize your kitchen cabinets, make things even easier with the help of Lakeside’s kitchen storage solutions! These simple storage items can help get started on tidying up your cabinets and can keep you on track with organization throughout your kitchen. From storage containers to pan organizers to plate racks and more, these kitchen storage items will keep your space feeling organized and clean.
Set of 2 Lid/Pan Organizers
Vertical Plate Racks for Cabinet
Clear Storage Containers with Handle
Perfect Pantry™ Basket Organizer Sets
Set of 2 Tension-Mount Bamboo Drawer Organizers
Want to organize other areas of your home? We’ve got you covered with our full selection of Storage Solutions! Find storage and organization items for every room including the kitchen and pantry, closet, laundry room, bathroom, and much more!