5 Easy Summer Home Improvement Tasks
Summer is a great time to freshen up your space in a variety of ways. Whether you want to refresh your home with new decorations and style, take the time to clean and organize, or give any room a new look with the help of paint, working on your home at the start of summer is always a good idea! If you’re looking for some easy and simple projects to tackle this summer in your home, we have you covered with these quick ideas. Here are 5 easy summer home improvement tasks to get started on.
1. Update Your Kitchen Backsplash For A Fresh Summer Look
Your backsplash is the perfect area to show off your decor style and make your kitchen feel complete. Whether you haven’t updated your backsplash in awhile or if you have never added one before, this is the perfect home improvement project for summer because it can instantly freshen up your space.
One easy option for your kitchen backsplash is to use peel and stick wallpaper. There are so many different patterns, styles, and colors of peel and stick wallpaper that can easily be incorporated onto your backsplash. Try a marble wallpaper for a sleek style, a colorful tile for a bright summer look, or a floral pattern for a fresh appearance. You can easily match the rest of your kitchen with the wallpaper backsplash or you can even make your backsplash stand out as an eye-catching element.
If you’re looking to fully commit to changing your backsplash, it can be well worth it to get physical tiles applied. This project is something you can do yourself if you’re fairly handy; however, it’s much easier to get a professional to install. Adding a permanent tiled backsplash to your kitchen can instantly give it a brand new look and is a great option for a simple summer makeover.
2. Paint Your Front Door This Summer To Liven Up Your Porch
Another easy summer home improvement task is to change up the look of your front porch. Painting your front door and updating some elements on the outside will help brighten up your home and make it feel brand new for the summertime. This can be done in a small and simple way if you just want a subtle change, or you can go all out for a full makeover.
Painting your front door can be a unique and interesting task to do in the summertime. If you want a bold and fun look, opt for colors like yellow, blue, and red. On the other hand, if you’re looking to keep your porch looking more simple and sleek, you can give your door a fresh coat of white, black, or brown paint. A colorful door is great for freshening up your home for the summertime, but a neutral color will work just as well. From there, you can also add some outdoor decor to complement your door nicely.
In addition to painting your door, you can also update other elements of your front porch for the summer. From small changes to some bigger transformations, here are some ideas for summer porch improvement tasks.
Summer Porch Improvement Tasks
- Get new porch flooring installed
- Paint your porch railing
- Freshen up your house number on your porch
- Add a ceiling fan to a large porch
- Hang up a porch swing
3. Give Your Fireplace A New Look With A Summer Makeover
A big part of summer home improvement is making things look brighter and more fresh in your home. Another simple way to do this is to freshen up your fireplace. Maybe your fireplace is old and needs a makeover. On the other hand, maybe it just could use a new look for the new season. Either way, this is a great task to do for the summertime.
You should start off by cleaning your fireplace. Even if you aren’t planning on using it too much in the summertime, it could probably use a good cleaning after the cold seasons. Make sure to clean the inside and outside of the fireplace. Give it a good scrub down and cleaning according to the instructions. Not only will it make you feel great to get some cleaning done, but it will also make your area feel more fresh and bright.
While you can just simply clean your fireplace, you can also take it up a notch by giving it a fresh coat of paint. Whether you have a brick fireplace or another style, you can easily find ways to paint it for a new look. You can truly choose almost any color to paint your fireplace; however, these are some popular color ideas that will keep your living room looking stylish and sleek.
Fireplace Paint Colors
4. Get Ready For Summer By Organizing Your Closet
While you might have already done some major organizing at the start of spring, it doesn’t hurt to re-organize for summer. Sometimes things may get out of place and messy, so it’s always a good idea to organize and clean again at the start of a new season. The best place to start is your closet!
Organizing your closet doesn’t have to be such a big and daunting task. With the help of some simple steps, you can easily organize and freshen up your closet in one afternoon. This is a good task to get done at the start of summer to have an organized area all throughout the season. Check out these simple steps on how to organize your closet for summer.
How To Organize Your Closet For Summer
- Start by sorting through your clothes and deciding if you want to donate anything. This process might take a little while, but it’s well worth it. You don’t want to take up too much space with any unnecessary pieces of clothing.
- Once you’ve decided on which clothes you’re keeping, it’s time to organize your clothes in the closet. You’ll want to hang up your summer clothing in the most accessible areas of your closet. You can decide on the organizing method for your closet – organize by color, categories of clothing, or even by style. Make sure to keep your fall and winter clothes in the farthest area of your closet. You can even store these clothes away somewhere else to open up more space.
- After you’ve organized your clothing, take a look at your shoes. Use a hanging shoe organizer or a floor shoe organizer to clean up your shoes. Just like your clothing, make sure to prioritize summer shoes by displaying them in the easiest to reach areas.
- Finally, it’s time to organize the rest of your closet. If you have jewelry and accessories or even random items stored in your closet, get specific organizers for everything. Hang up purses on a hanger, use an over-the-door organizer for your jewelry, and use stacked storage bins for other items.
- Note: if there are any random items in your closet that you don’t need or that can be stored elsewhere, consider moving these things. It’s best to have a little open space in your closet to make it feel less crowded and more organized.
5. Get Your Carpets Professionally Cleaned For The Summertime
Another great way to get your home feeling fresh for summer is to get some deep cleaning done. While you already clean your home on a regular basis, it’s a good idea to do some extra cleaning as the seasons change. Find some easy cleaning tasks that you can do yourself, along with other tasks that you can hire a professional to do.
Getting your carpets professionally cleaned for the summer will instantly brighten up your space and get it ready for the season. It’s worth the money to get a professional to come in and deep clean your carpets because it can make a huge difference to your home. Dirt can easily build up throughout the year, so getting the carpets cleaned can make them look bright and new.
In addition to getting your carpets cleaned, there are also plenty of other cleaning tasks that you can get done this summer. Check out some ideas below!
Summer Cleaning Tasks
- Wash windows and doors
- Dust off ceiling fans, lights, and door tops
- Clean out and wipe down your fridge and freezer
- Give your bathroom a full scrub down
- Get your patio and porch power washed
- Clean and organize your pantry
Now that you’ve learned some easy summer home improvement tasks to get done, check out our Home Improvement section to help you get started! From cleaning solutions to household helpers to tools and more, our products can make your summer tasks even easier!