7 Affordable Kitchen Makeover Ideas
You don’t have to spend a fortune to get the kitchen of your dreams. There are many simple ways to transform your kitchen without making extreme and expensive changes to your space. Changing up certain aspects of your kitchen can help make it feel more modern or can help you establish a brand new decor style. Whether you’re handy and creative or just a home decor beginner, you can easily give your kitchen an affordable makeover based on your skills and needs. From painting ideas to lighting to hardware and more, here are 7 affordable kitchen makeover ideas for a fresh and new space.
1. Paint Your Kitchen Cabinets & Update Hardware For An Affordable Transformation
Replacing kitchen cabinets can get quite pricey and typically requires a professional to come in for installation. Instead of spending a pretty penny on brand new cabinets, you can simply update your current ones. Painting your cabinets and replacing your hardware can give your kitchen an instant makeover without going over your budget. Whether you paint them yourself or get a professional to come in, you’ll still save tons of money!
Your kitchen cabinets can be painted almost any color to freshen up your space. If you want a more funky and bright look, opt for a color like blue or red. For a more modern and sleek look, go for neutrals like black, gray, brown, or white. Depending on the type of cabinets you have, you’ll want to make sure to properly paint them based on the material they are. You may have to sand them down before painting and you have to buy the correct type of paint for your specific cabinets. Painting cabinets will take up a lot of time and patience; however, it’s worth it if you want to save money.
In addition to painting your cabinets, you can also install new hardware. Brand new handles and drawer pulls can surprisingly make a huge difference to your kitchen. Stainless steel hardware is a great way to create an upscale look for less, and looks especially nice when combined with stainless steel appliances. No matter what type of hardware you choose, you can easily create a uniquely decorative look in your kitchen. Even if you don’t choose to paint your cabinets, simply changing out the hardware will make a big transformation on its own.
2. Invest In A New Kitchen Sink Faucet For A Fresh Look
Your kitchen sink is one of the main hubs of your space, and the appearance of it can make or break your kitchen. While kitchen faucets can sometimes be pricey, they are something worth investing in for the long run. Putting a large part of your budget into a new faucet is well worth it for a fresh kitchen makeover. This is an especially great idea if you haven’t updated your sink in awhile.
How To Choose A New Kitchen Faucet
If you don’t have a dream faucet in mind, it might be hard to figure out what to look for. While some faucets may look better in certain kitchens, there are still certain things you can keep in mind when making your decision. Here are some things to think about when searching for your perfect kitchen faucet:
- Keep in mind that the appearance isn’t everything. While you obviously want to like the look of your faucet, it shouldn’t be your sole focus.
- Make sure to think about certain features such as: spout height/reach, single handle vs multiple handles, pull down sprayers vs conventional sprayers, and more.
- When it comes to the spout height and reach, you should make sure it will fit in your space. For instance, if you have a shelf over your sink, you’ll want to select a faucet that won’t interfere with the shelf.
- The finish of your faucet should match well with your kitchen. Whether you choose chrome, stain nickel, bronze, or something different, it should match nicely with your kitchen hardware.
- You should also consider the technical aspects. Make sure to select a faucet that will fit into your current setup; it’ll make things quick and easy.
3. Set Up A Breakfast Nook For A Simple Kitchen Makeover
When it comes to affordable kitchen makeover ideas, you don’t need to sacrifice comfort and style. In fact, the cozier you make your kitchen, the more you can create an upscale look for less. With a little creativity, you can transform your kitchen in a comfortable way without spending too much money. Adding a breakfast nook is a great way to bring that comfort into your kitchen, and it surprisingly doesn’t have to be expensive!
Breakfast nooks are charming and cozy, and can make your kitchen feel unique. There are a couple different ways to add a breakfast nook to your kitchen, depending on how much time you’re willing to invest into this project. It also depends on the size and current setup of your space. Here are a two different ways to add a breakfast nook to your kitchen.
How To Add A Breakfast Nook To Your Kitchen
- Zero Construction: The easiest way to add a breakfast nook to your kitchen requires zero construction. Simply add a bench and table to the corner of your kitchen and add some throw pillows for comfort. You can also add this to a window area if your kitchen is setup to complement that. You can even find an old bench at a thrift shop and restore it with new paint for an even more affordable option!
- Construction: If you’re more on the handy side or you’re just willing to take on a bigger project, you can build your own nook. Simple build out a bench attached to the wall near a corner of your kitchen. Once your bench is built, you can place a table in front of it with chairs on the opposite side.
4. Add A New Ceiling Light Fixture To Get A Fresh Kitchen Look For Less
Similar to the kitchen makeover idea of changing out your hardware, you can also change up your kitchen lighting fixtures. This is an easy, quick, and affordable way to instantly make your kitchen look brand new. Brand new lighting can make your kitchen look brighter and fresher, and new fixtures can add a stylish element to the room. It’s well worth it to change up the lighting in your kitchen!
Swap out your current kitchen ceiling lights for something new and different. Whether you go with an elegant looking chandelier, industrial style lights, or a more simple hanging light structure, you can very easily create the look that you want. Choose a fixture that is within your budget but matches the style that you want to secure. You might have to pay for an electrician to install the new fixture; however, this simple investment will be a strong element of your kitchen makeover.
In addition to swapping out your ceiling fixtures, you can also add additional lighting to your kitchen for an amplified makeover. Add lights underneath your cabinets to bring some extra functional and bright elements to your space. Cabinet lights are typically very affordable – you can even buy small lights that simply adhere to the bottom of your cabinets. This will make it quick and easy to add while also staying within your budget. Bonus: add some lighted decor to your kitchen for an additional stylish touch.
5. Install A Backsplash For An Instant Kitchen Transformation
A backsplash is such a strong element of modern and contemporary kitchens, so it only makes sense to include it in your kitchen makeover plan. While backsplashes can add up in price, especially when you include professional installation, it can be worth it for it to be a big part of your budget. Even if you aren’t able to afford a traditional backsplash, there are other ways to get a backsplash for less money.
Types Of Backsplashes
There are so many different types of backsplashes in terms of materials, patterns, colors, and more. For instance, you might want to go with a typical design of rectangular or square tiles. On the other hand, if you want a unique look, go for a diamond pattern or a floral spread.
You can truly make your backsplash feel special to your kitchen and stay within your budget by taking the time to select the perfect material. While the list is endless, here are some popular material choices for backsplashes:
- Glass Tiles: these are a popular type of material used for backsplashes and they come in many patterns and colors.
- Ceramic or Porcelain Tiles: these are also popular for backsplashes and can mimic a natural stone look for less or can complement typical wall tiles.
- Natural Stone: if you’re willing to invest a little more, natural stone backsplashes are great for an authentic look.
- Marble: this is such a classy and beautiful material for a backsplash and looks great with matching countertops.
- Peel and Stick Wallpaper: this is the most affordable way to get a backsplash – find a wallpaper with a pattern or even find one that mimics that tiled look.
6. Upgrade Your Kitchen Storage For A New Decorative Appearance
Sometimes when you’re working on a kitchen makeover, you don’t necessarily need to make huge, transformative changes to get a new look. To keep your kitchen makeover affordable, opt for simple decorative changes instead of large construction projects. There are surprisingly a lot of ways to make your kitchen look brand new with the simple swap of decorations.
One way to transform your kitchen for less is to change up your storage elements. Combining storage pieces with decorative accents can help make your kitchen look more put together and stylish. Consider items that can make your kitchen look more expensive without actually spending a lot of money. Here are some ideas to think about:
- Store food or seasonings in clear glass containers on the counter or on open shelves
- Place cooking utensils in a decorative canister on the counter
- Open up counter space by using wall hooks for cooking accessories
- Add an extra wall cabinet to store away excess items
When it comes down to it, the more you can open up your space and keep clutter away, the more fresh and new your kitchen will look. Taking the time to work on your kitchen storage is an easy way to accomplish an affordable makeover.
7. Display A Kitchen Accent Wall For A Cheap Makeover
Accent walls are not only eye-catching and fun, but they’re also an affordable way to transform any room in your house. Setting up an accent wall in your kitchen can give it the ultimate makeover for less. You can create your accent wall behind your kitchen table, set it up on the wall with your fridge, or you can even use your backsplash as your accent “wall”. Whether you make your accent wall subtle or make it pop, this is the perfect makeover idea that will match any budget.
Kitchen Accent Wall Ideas
- Shiplap accent wall
- Dark accent wall for contrast
- Patterned wallpaper accent wall (floral, geometric, lemons, or other fun pattern)
- Photo gallery accent wall
- Stone accent wall
Now that you’ve gathered up some affordable kitchen makeover ideas, check out our Kitchen & Dining section to amplify your space even more! Shop kitchen linens, serveware, storage essentials, appliances, and much more to make your kitchen feel stylish and new.