5 DIY Christmas Gift Basket Ideas
What’s not to love about a gift basket? They’re fun and easy for the giver to put together, and they’re a joy for the recipient to receive.
The best gift baskets are those than contain a variety of items centered around a specific theme, like book lover, new baby, or spa day. However, you don’t always have to stick to the theme—feel free to toss in a few extras just because you know the recipient will love them!
Here are 5 of our favorite gift basket themes for the holiday season:
1. Give a gift basket that sends a sincere “thank you.”
The holidays are the perfect time to show your appreciation for the people in your life, like teachers, first responders, and healthcare workers. Put together a basket of goodies they’ll really love:
- A gift card for coffee or lunch
- Decadent snacks
- A stress-relief candle
- A mug that makes them smile
- Bubble bath
- A heartfelt Occupational Car Charm that celebrates the hard work they do
Pro Tip: Save one small item—such as an ornament or a keychain—to tie on the outside of the basket as a decoration (and a hint at the theme). NFL Vintage Truck Ornaments are perfect for sports fans, while a handy Folding Keychain Ruler is a cute extra that will be appreciated by anyone.
2. Give a gift basket filled with holiday comfort and joy.
Share the sights and sounds of the season with a holiday-themed gift basket. This theme is perfect for just about anyone!
- Christmas ornaments
- Holiday-themed kitchen towels or guest towels
- Holiday décor that does double duty, like Holiday Wine Bottle & Glass Holders
- Your favorite CD of holiday music or beloved Christmas movie on DVD
- A bottle of wine or sparkling cider
- Handwritten recipe cards featuring your family’s favorite holiday foods
Pro Tip: Think outside the basket—literally! Your gift basket items don’t have to go in an actual basket. Try mixing bowls for a baking-themed basket, a sand bucket for a beach-themed basket, or a holiday-print tote for a Christmas-themed basket.
3. Give a gift basket that makes a little one smile.
Kids love gift baskets because it’s like getting 5, 10, or even 15 gifts in one! Include a variety of items that really capture their attention:
- Stuffed animals or snuggly pillows
- A T-shirt or hat featuring their favorite character
- Colorful socks
- Bubble bath or bath toys
- Interactive books, like Look and Find Christmas Books
Pro Tip: Line the bottom of your gift container with another item related to your theme, such as a plush bath towel for a pampering basket, cute onesies for a baby shower gift, or kitchen linens like placemats or a table runner if the basket is for a foodie.
4. Give a gift basket that’s (almost) too pretty to eat.
The holidays are hectic, so who wouldn’t love a basket that answers the question, “What’s for dinner?” A few fun foodie ideas:
- All the ingredients for an easy family dinner, such as pasta, sauce, and a crusty loaf of bread
- Gourmet foods that they’d never buy for themselves, from chocolate truffles to small tins of caviar
- All the fixings for a family movie night—including popcorn, a big popcorn bowl, and movie theater candy
- For recipients who live far away, assemble a basket of foods that are local to your area
Pro Tip: For an extra-special touch, include something homemade in your gift basket, like holiday cookies, your famous banana bread, or even just the handwritten tag that’s tied around the handle.
5. Give a gift basket that really warms them up.
It’s cold outside, so why not give the gift of warmth? There are nearly unlimited options for a warming gift basket:
- A scarf or headwarmer
- Fluffy slippers or slipper socks
- A comfy bath pillow
- A fuzzy throw for curling up on the couch
- Everything they’ll need for a hot chocolate party, hot chocolate mixes, mugs, spoons, napkins, and toppings
- All the fixings for making s’mores
Pro Tip: If you’re making multiple gift baskets, buy items in sets and divide them up. Handcrafted Hot Chocolate Makers and Dunkers come in packs of three or four. (You might even want to save one for yourself!)
Enjoy these Christmas Gift Ideas? Check out our full selection of gifts to find even more inspiration!