Home Decor Trends To Look Out For In 2021
Trends are constantly changing, especially when it comes to interior design and home decorating. While home decor ultimately comes down to personal style and taste, you can easily incorporate a few trends here and there to make your home feel more current and stylish. Whether you want a brand new look or just want to do some minor updates throughout your home this year, here are 5 home decor trends to look out for in 2021.
Trend #1: Use Open Shelving For Unique Wall Decor
Wall decor trends are always changing throughout the years. Last year’s biggest wall decor trend was geared towards gallery walls. While the gallery wall trend can still look nice displayed in some rooms of your home, we could be shifting away from that look as we go further into 2021’s home decor trends.
A huge trend for 2021 is the concept of open shelving to display decorations. This is a unique way to decorate your walls without hanging up typical artwork and wall signs. Shifting to the open shelving trend doesn’t mean you have to completely take away your artwork. Combine the ideas of open shelving and wall hangings within one room or within various areas of your home.
You can display almost any decorations on the shelves to bring your walls to life. Items that work especially well include plants, tabletop picture frames, vases of flowers, unique books, decorative plates on stands, and artsy statues or figurines. Be sure to match the style of the decorations in the rest of the room with similar colors and themes.
Types Of Open Shelving To Display In Your Home
- Hang up floating wall shelves. This gives the ultimate appearance of the open shelving concept and doesn’t take up too much space on the wall. Floating shelves are great for smaller areas of the kitchen or above the couch in the living room.
- Use a shelving unit on the wall. Units can provide more extensive shelving space and tend to work best in areas where you have a lot of open space on your walls.
- Bring in a standing shelving unit. Instead of hanging something on the walls, use a shelving unit that stands up on the floor. You’ll want to get a fairly tall one to cover a lot of wall space.
Trend #2: Connect With Nature & Decorate With More Houseplants
This year, we’re seeing a lot of trends that involve getting more closely connected with nature. The reason behind this is that natural elements provide serenity and calmness, which is something we all need more of. While plants have consistently been a decorating trend, they’re even more in style in the year 2021.
Instead of decorating with artificial greenery, be bold and decorating with real houseplants throughout each room of your home. Real plants of course require more care and consistent upkeep, but they’re definitely worth it if you want a calming environment. Start by putting multiple houseplants in just one room of your home, and then build up to incorporating them into other rooms.
Best Houseplants To Decorate With In 2021
- Snake Plant – These plants are very low maintenance and provide an extra boost of oxygen at night. They have a unique appearance that will nice in any room.
- Philodrendon – Decorative and stunning, these plants are fairly easy to care for and can last for many years as long as they get enough water and sunlight.
- Spider Plant – If you’re looking for a plant that keeps the air clean in your home, this is the perfect one. It’s also easy to grow and looks nice displayed in your home.
- Aloe Vera – For a plant that provides air purification along with skin care, the aloe vera plant is a great one for your home. The leaves of this plant give you a natural and herbal treatment for skin wounds.
- Lavender – If you want a lovely scent and a beautiful display, this is the plant for you. The lavender scent provides relaxation and stress relief, a wonderful addition to your bedroom or living room.
Trend #3: Bring Back Wallpaper For A Stylish Home
If you thought that wallpaper was just a thing of the past, think again. 2021 is making wallpaper trendy again, and there are many ways to bring this trend into your home. Don’t be afraid to go bold; give the rooms in your home a powerful upgrade and freshen up areas that need more style.
Traditional wallpaper works well for this trend; however, if you’re looking for an easier and simpler approach, opt for peel and stick wallpaper. This is easier to apply on the wall and is also easier to take off and swap out when needed. Choose peel and stick wallpaper if you’re more of a novice decorator or if you don’t have a lot of time and money to spend on your walls.
Play around with bold colors and patterns with your wallpaper. For instance, you might want to use a nature pattern for a relaxing look, a floral pattern for a vintage vibe, simple stripes for a chic appearance, or a solid color to set the stage for more decorations. There are endless possibilities when it comes to your wallpaper selection.
There are also an endless amount of ways you can use wallpaper in your home, instead of just using it on all your walls. Here are some creative ideas.
Creative Ways To Use Wallpaper In Your Home
- Set up a wallpaper accent wall for an eye-catching element in any room.
- Use wallpaper as a makeshift backsplash in your kitchen for an affordable alternative.
- Line your cabinet shelves with wallpaper for a fun pop of color.
- Transform your bedroom closet into a trendy space by applying wallpaper inside.
- Make your pantry more stylish with a bold patterned wallpaper on the walls.
- Cover floating shelves in wallpaper for a truly unique look in any room.
Trend #4: Get Bold With Pops Of Color In Neutral Rooms
Neutral colors have been trendy for awhile, especially the gray color scheme and the all white room. Bringing in more bold colors is a trendy idea that’s coming to surface in 2021. Luckily you don’t necessarily need to take away the entire color scheme of your home, you can simply add more unique colors to each room throughout your home.
If you have a neutral colored room such as gray, beige, or white, you can easily bring in bold colors such as green, orange, and yellow. Make sure to just bring in pops of these colors rather than overload the room with them. Simple pops of color will transform the room more than you think it will. Have fun and play around with which colors you want to bring into the room.
Bring in these pops of color through decorative accents such as throw pillows, vases, books, wall art, plants, and bold statues or figurines. Be sure to use a variety of bold colors throughout the room; sticking with one color will make it look too uniformed. To assure flow in the room, spread these colors throughout the area rather than keep them to one spot.
If you’re a bit weary of adding such bold colors to your home, try to stick with one room to start off with. The living room is a great place to start because you can play around with a mix of different accents and decorations. Swap around different colors and looks to see what you like best.
Trend #5: Be Creative With Hidden Storage In Your Home
In addition to these other home decor trends, another big one to include in 2021 is the idea of clever storage solutions. Neat and tidy spaces have always been preferable, but this year we’re seeing more and more creativity with home storage. The idea is to make your storage blend in more smoothly with the decorative elements in your home.
Storage furniture is the best way to get creative with storage in your home. Whether it’s an entryway storage bench, a coffee table with hidden storage, a stunning decorative storage cabinet in your dining room, or a storage ottoman at the end of your bed, you can easily combine function with style. Take a look at areas of your home that are cluttered – find spaces where you can incorporate storage furniture to hide away unnecessary items.
Another way to get on board with the clever storage trend this year is to use storage baskets, bins, and containers in creative ways. For example, store items in tall baskets at the foot of your bed, use small baskets on the bottom shelf of an entryway table to hold extra items, place extra items inside of a decorative box on your coffee table, and hide away items with ease with closed containers on top of shelves. Find various ways to combine your storage with your decorations for a more stylish home.
Check out Lakeside’s Storage Solutions for more inspiration and ideas!
Now that you have an idea of the home decor trends for 2021, check out our selection of Home Decor to find affordable and stylish decorations to display! Shop for decorative accents, storage furniture, wall art, home collections, and much more.