7 Affordable Teen Bedroom Decor Ideas
Teens want their bedroom to be trendy, fun, and match their personal style. Luckily, you don’t have to spend a fortune to give your teen the bedroom of their dreams! Simple decorating ideas can result in a creative and unique space without going over your budget. With a little creativity, you can set up a stunning teen bedroom no matter what their personal style is. From wall art to lighting to DIY decor and more, here are 7 affordable teen bedroom decor ideas to try out.
1. Set Up A Gallery Wall Above The Bed For A Unique Teen Bedroom
Gallery walls are always a great way to showcase a variety of artwork and wall hangings to amplify your teen’s personality and style. Setting up a gallery style wall above the bed will give the room a focal point without spending a lot of money on other decorations. This is perfect place to display unique wall art because the bed is the main element in the room and the wall behind it will stand out the most in the room.
Affordable Teen Bedroom Decor: Gallery Wall Ideas
There are so many different ways to set up a gallery wall in a teen’s bedroom. Whether you want to fill up the entire wall or just decorate a section above the bed, the possibilities are endless. If you’re not sure what to add to the wall, or just need some inspiration to get started, here are some ideas of wall art you can add to a gallery wall:
- Framed posters or print-outs
- Fabric wall hangings (these are usually more affordable than traditional wall art)
- Dry erase board
- Collage of personal photos (Polaroid pictures work best for this!)
- Decorative wall clock
- Fun sentiment wall signs
- Colorful floating shelves
2. Use String Lights & Lighted Decor To Amplify Any Teen Room
Lighting can make any room come alive in a new and decorative way. Teens love lighted decor because it makes their space more magical, comforting, and warm. There are so many different ways to incorporating decorative lighting into a teen’s bedroom. Whether they want a simple look or if they want to create a full magical display, there are so many types of lights to set up their ideal look. Check out some ideas below and feel free to combine some ideas for even more exciting appearance.
Teen Bedroom Lighted Decor Ideas
- Hang string lights down the walls for a magical look throughout the room.
- Wrap string lights around the headboard to light up the space at night.
- Use lighted tabletop statues on the dresser for unique style.
- Set up a large LED lantern on the bedside table for a cool lamp alternative.
- Use colored LED light strips to create a glowing border around the ceiling.
- Display a chandelier light for an upscale touch.
- Hang up lighted shelves to display special items.
3. Create Unique Wall Designs In A Teen’s Room With Washi Tape
Another affordable way to decorate a teen’s bedroom is to make DIY decorations. Crafting is always a great alternative to expensive decorations. Even the most simple DIY ideas can result in a creative and vibrant space that matches any teen’s personality and style. One of the easiest DIY wall art ideas for a teen’s bedroom is to use washi tape to create wall designs. This DIY is so easy that anyone of any skill level can do it. Check out the simple steps below!
How To Make DIY Wall Art With Washi Tape
- Start by printing out a stencil of the desired design or use a store-bought stencil.
- Carefully cut out the stencil and tape it to the wall.
- Lightly trace the design on the wall with a pencil and then remove the stencil.
- Next, it’s time to choose your washi tape colors and patterns. Plan out each section of the design.
- Finally, you can start taping! Carefully tape your desired colors on top of the penciled design and cut the tape with scissors to make clean lines.
In addition to making these simple washi tape designs directly on the wall, you can also use washi tape in other ways throughout the room. For instance, you can make the design on a piece of paper instead and frame the paper to hang on the wall. You can also use washi tape to create designs on the dresser – this is a great way to change up the look of the furniture without committing to painting it. Get creative with washi tape and find other ways to use it around the room for a fun appearance.
4. Add A Lot Of Throw Pillows To Add Colors & Patterns To A Teen Bedroom
When decorating a teen’s bedroom, it’s important to have a good balance of style and comfort. Adding a lot of cozy elements into the room can help create that warm and happy environment for any teen. One of the easiest ways to do this is to add a lot of throw pillows onto the bed.
Throw pillows can instantly make a room look extra cozy and welcoming, and they can add a lot of colors and patterns into the room. Add five or more pillows to the bed to set up a comfortable and stylish room. These pillows can be a varieties of colors and patterns for a creative and fun look, or you can set up matching pillows for a more simple look. Match the color scheme of the room or use some of the throw pillows as a standout accent color.
In addition to throw pillows, you can also bring in other fabrics to amplify the cozy look. Add a throw blanket to the bed, and then add another on top of an accent chair or desk chair. Hang up colorful curtains from the windows and add a matching area rug in the middle of the room. You can also use a lot of fabric wall hangings to continue the comfy and cozy look. There are so many possibilities for creating a relaxing bedroom while keeping up with the teen trends.
5. Display Peel & Stick Wallpaper For An Affordable Teen Bedroom Idea
Teens are constantly changing up their style and preferences, so if you’re looking for affordable decorating ideas, you’ll want to go for things that are temporary and easy to remove. That’s why peel and stick wallpaper is the perfect addition to a teen’s bedroom. This type of wallpaper is incredibly versatile and it’s easy to apply and remove. Whether they want to keep it up for years, or change it up every once in awhile, it’s a great option for any room.
Peel and stick wallpaper can be applied to every wall in the room or you can even use it to set up an accent wall. Use a bold colored wallpaper for an accent wall by the bed or apply a patterned wallpaper on the wall near the window to set up a reading area with a bean bag. Using peel and stick wallpaper is also a perfect way to test out a wall color or wall design without committing to painting. If they like the look of it, you can then paint a more permanent look later on for a longer lasting room.
You can also use peel and stick wallpaper in other areas of the room aside from just the walls. Cover the dresser or bedside table with the wallpaper to give the furniture a brand new look for less. You can even use the wallpaper on the closet doors for a bold style. Find creative ways to use peel and stick wallpaper throughout the bedroom for a fun and affordable decorating idea.
6. Use Cubby Shelves As Decorative Storage In A Teen’s Bedroom
Storage is an important part of any bedroom because it can make or break the style of the space. Adding efficient yet stylish storage to a teen’s bedroom is a great way to maintain an organized and trendy room. One of the easiest ways to stay organized in style is by adding a set of cubby shelves to your teen’s bedroom.
The great thing about cubby shelves is that they come in so many different sizes. Many of them are super affordable, especially the ones that you can put together yourself. You can display a set of large cubby shelves in room or you can even use a set of wall hanging cubby shelves for a unique alternative to wall art.
When it comes to decorating and using cubby shelves, you can create the ideal setup for a teen’s bedroom. Place drawers or bins in some of the shelves and display decorations in the open shelves. The drawers and bins can be used to hold a variety of items such as jewelry and fashion accessories, notebooks and supplies, games, electronic items, and much more. They can then display their favorite decorations and books in the open shelves for a stylish look. Additionally, they can decorate the top of the shelving unit with other accents and some lighted decor to make the space come together.
7. Set Up A Reading Nook For A Cozy Teen Bedroom
As mentioned earlier, an important element of any teen’s bedroom is the level of coziness and comfort throughout the space. A wonderfully affordable and cozy way to decorate a teen’s bedroom is to add a reading nook or set up a cozy reading corner. This will give the room an extra special touch.
How To Set Up A Reading Nook Or Corner
- Start with the seating. If the room has space near the window, consider setting up a comfy bench. Alternatively, you can set up a large bean bag in the corner of the room.
- Next, add some throw pillows and blankets to make the seating area even more comfy.
- Then, bring in some string lights, candles, or lanterns to make the area look warm and inviting.
- If you have wood floors, you can also add a comfy rug nearby to maintain the warm and cozy appearance.
- Finally, you can add some books! The books can be displayed on some floating wall shelves nearby or on a short bookcase.
Ready to start decorating with these affordable teen bedroom decor ideas? Check out our selection of Home Decor to find affordable wall art, decorative accents, rugs, furniture, and much more!